Maruti Suzuki Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've realized that Ignis hasn't been discontinued I have been toying with the idea of buying the facelifted version in 2020 or the version from 2019. If I buy the 2019 Ignis, can I mount luggage on to the top? I travel extensively by roads and have to carry a lot of work gear with me. Sometimes my crew joins me too which makes it an uncomfortable journey. Can I install a roof box or a roof rack?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually the 2019 Ignis comes with roof rails. If you weren't aware earlier, roof rails are used to carry bulky cargo or sporting equipment overhead that can use special roof mounts which can be fixed on to these rails.
They are a modern version of the old 'luggage carrier' except that they are designed to be mounting points rather than carriers. You can carry your luggage in special containers that use these mounts (Thule roof boxes, for instance).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh.. I had missed that. Can these roof rails be removed? Somehow I don't find the idea of roof rails appealing and I think I'll stick to the conventional roof racks or roof boxes. Since the car has the roof rails for the luggage, I am guessing installing roof racks wouldn't be a problem. If yes, what would be the process of removing these rails?

Does anyone have any suggestions about the roof racks or roof boxes that would go with an Ignis 2019?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can remove the roof rails but I remember a friend of mine removed the rails on the roof of his car and it leads to water leakage as it wasn't done properly. He was told a procedure where he had to locate the bolts joining the rails to the roof and then unbolt it. In case he was unable to locate the bolts he would have to take off the headline. But I guess what he forgot to do was seal the holes. I would suggest you rather to a mechanic to get this done perfectly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would second @Brezzalient for the answer. I also have the idea that removing the rails would maybe cause an unfinished look or scrape the paint. Getting it done by a professional would be the best idea.
As for roof racks, there are ample of sellers for roof rails but very few for roof racks. However, I guess if you go to a local Maruti Suzuki service center or dealer for spare parts, they might be able to help you with roof racks of cars that fit the dimensions of Ignis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts