Maruti Suzuki Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Maruti Suzuki Dzire a front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive car? I have heard that only BMW or Mercedes cars are rear-wheel drive cars with the exception of ambassador. Doesn't Maruti Suzuki have any cars belonging to the all-wheel-drive category?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, apart from a few cars, all Indian cars are front-wheel-drive cars. The few rear-wheel driven cars are Nano, Omni, Eco, Versa, Innova, and a few higher-end cars.
All Maruti Suzuki cars including the Maruti Suzuki Dzire are front-wheel drives. In order to make these cars a rear-wheel-drive car, the entire design would have to be changed and the engine would have to be shifted to the rear end making the design look odd for modern cars. The conventional types have a shaft that transmits the power from the engine at the front side to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why doesn't Maruti Suzuki have any cars belonging to the AWD category and also why do most Indian cars belong to the front-wheel drive category? I agree that the design would have to be changed. But is that the sole reason for not having many AWD cars or rear wheel drive cars?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The main reason that most cars in India are front-wheel drives is that the engines are located in the front. It is much cheaper to build cars with front engines than otherwise. Since the engine is in front, it is easier to power the front wheels rather than wasting a significant amount of energy while transporting the energy to the hind wheels.
In India, people are very concerned with "PRICE" so cars that cost less and give better mileage are go-to options.
Since building front-wheel drives are inexpensive and also cut down on fuel wastage, most cars in India are front-wheel drives. Of course, they are pretty easy to build as well compared to other variations.
I hope that answers your question @Zoomer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts